Friday, December 19, 2014

Receiving the Unexpected and the Unknown

The following is an Advent reflection written by Meaghan Sykes, one of this year's Little Village House Volunteers.

It’s been about four months since I made the trip from Philadelphia to Chicago to complete a year of service with Amate House. Upon telling family and friends of my plans for after graduation, I was bombarded with many questions. “Well, where are you living? What exactly are you going to be doing? Have you ever even been to Chicago?? What happens if you don’t like it???” Most of these questions I didn't immediately have answers for, but I wasn't too worried. I have always been the type of person to go with the flow and just figure things out as they happen. I figured I would be okay with having a few unknowns in my life because I could see the big picture of what I was imagining to happen after this year, a chance to make a difference in the lives of those I've served, in my community and in my own spiritual life.

However, I wasn't just experiencing some unknowns; I was immersing myself in them. I moved more than 700 miles away to a completely new city living with 7 people I've never met before. For the first time in my life I’ll be working full time and living away from my entire family. It didn't really hit me until the first week of work just how much remained unknown. Nerves hit me and I began to question what I was doing here. I felt under qualified and uncertain that anything that I was doing would even make a difference to these people.

As the marketing and development manager at West Suburban Senior Services, I had the chance to interview many of the seniors and ask them questions about what we were doing well and also what changes they would like to see. I was overwhelmed by the number of nice things they had to say about the staff and the programs that are available. Although I didn't think it was a big deal, they told me that small things like having coffee out every morning and getting to play bingo a few times a week made them look forward to coming out of the house and getting time to socialize. The amount of happiness it gives them to be able to read a newsletter with photos of events we've had or sit with me for a short computer lesson is so much more than I had ever expected. Several people told me that the agency felt like a second home to them. I have come to realize is that although I might not be making life altering changes in the lives of the seniors I work with, it’s usually the little things that can turn their day around.

I come from a pretty big family and have been used to sharing my home with many other people. As the oldest in a family of seven children, I thought living in this intentional community would be a breeze. I wanted to begin this community living experience with no expectations, but that didn't mean I didn't have questions. Would they like to have spontaneous dance parties? Will any of them like to talk and laugh as much (and as loudly) as I do? Does anyone like the same TV shows as me? Are they funny or insightful or curious? Although it isn't always easy, and there certainly are challenges that I wouldn't have expected (like the chore of cleaning the kitchen—and keeping it that way) I'm happy to say that I have found 7 women whom I have grown to love. We share many similar views, but also have intense disagreements about a million different topics. We challenge each other to grow and to learn, but at the end of the day, we affirm each other and fully believe in one another and that’s what keeps us going through this year.

I have found a connection to Little Village and the culture that encompasses the community in St. Agnes of Bohemia, a church just a few blocks away. I love that the congregation is mostly Hispanic, and bring that passion to Mass and in the smiles they share. On Sundays I look forward taking some time to share with God and reflect on the week that is coming up. This time of Advent, we are reminded that when the Holy Spirit came, Mary said yes; let it be done unto me according to your word. I strive to be more like Mary during this season, and welcome the unexpected by saying yes to the experiences that present themselves to me in my work, in my intentional community and in my spiritual life.

 I think the artist and author Brian Andreas summed it up by saying "Say yes. Whatever it is, say yes with your whole heart & simple as it sounds, that's all the excuse life needs to grab you by the hands & start to dance.” So take time this Advent season to say yes to what God has put in front of you, and take whatever life has to offer.

No comments: