Friday, December 18, 2015

Waiting in Quiet Watchfulness

The following is an Advent reflection by Eryn Gronewoller, one of this year's Little Village House Volunteers. 

When I was in pre-school, I would wait in anticipation for the day I could go to kindergarten and learn with the big kids. When I was in high school, I couldn’t wait for the day I would graduate, leave my small school, my small hometown, and go to college. When in college, I refused to wait until I was an upperclassman to take advanced classes or study abroad. My whole life, I have been in a rush to move on to the next thing, always prepared before the world told me I was ready. I was forced to be patient though restless, to wait my turn, to wait for my time.

Now I am waiting for other things. In my work at little brother friends of the elderly, I require constant and unfailing patience.  I wait holding open doors for elders who move slow and unsteady. I wait with my elders for their social security checks so I can help them go grocery shopping. My elders in turn wait for my phone calls and visits. They wait by their doors for me to pick them up to go to holiday parties. Some wait for visits from loved ones or old friends. They wait at doctor’s offices, wait for test results on their health. Some bide their time, waiting to die.

When in the presence of my elders, -my brain, my busy schedule, my hectic life- it all slows down. I look at my elders who are all over the age of seventy, and I ask myself- why am I in such a rush? What’s my hurry? Life is long and should be enjoyed.

But my elders look at me in my youth and feel differently. They tell me- life is short, don’t waste it.
For them there is no more waiting for what the future will hold. Me- I see my whole life ahead of me. But I’m no longer rushing to the next thing. I have no idea where I will be next year, when my career may start or my journey may lead. I struggle not to have all the answers, not to have a set plan, not to have it all figured out. But for once, I am content in the waiting. I know God will guide my path, and that I need this time to quiet my heart, learn, grow, and know Him. I know he has something great planned for me just as we in advent preparation know the great coming of Jesus is imminent. It is easy to get caught up in the craziness of life, the hectic bustle before Christmas, the anxiety and anticipation. It is easy to forget what it truly is we are waiting for.  It is easy to forget that we can find peace in the waiting. Because life- whether you think it is long or short, whether you are inpatient or patient, ready or not- is made in the quiet moments when we are waiting for it to happen.


Amate House is accepting applications for the 2015-2016 Program Year! Our early application is January 15 - learn how to apply by visiting us at http://www.amatehouse.org/Volunteer/HowtoApply.aspx

No comments: