Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Giving Thanks

The following is a reflection written by Mark Greci, one of this year's Volunteers in the Uptown Community.

To those that do not know me, I’m Mark, a current Amate House Volunteer from the Uptown Community. In a sense, I’m introverted yet love being with people. Typical for Amate House, I’ve been given a place, I’ve been met at where I’m at, and – led by example – I do hope I’ve contributed towards doing the same. 

Given that all the Amate community members have their own Amate stories, I do hope that what I share offers some light on what this year has meant for me so far and, in a non-dogmatic sense, resonates with how others experience Amate House.   

When I would explain what brought me to Amate House, I would give a two part answer. One – I needed to return to the Midwest –, and two – I was seeking a meaningful, relevant law-related position.  Retrospectively, both of these draw to my young-adult-self.   

Amate House has given me both. Right now, the distinctively Midwestern turn of seasons makes me happy. Furthermore, my service at Cabrini Green Legal Aid allows me to work with talented professionals in assisting Chicagoans find stability after encounters with the criminal justice system.   

As many of my Amate friends have uncovered, the people that we all serve each have their own stories and merit their own responses. Often, the natural North House living room conversations refocus this to me. In many other ways, the community enriches my outside engagement. Their friendship makes this service year more substantial – and fun. 

Beyond the Midwest and the legal service, the community life has come to be one of my favorite boons of this experience. We share daily life with authenticity and humor – with friendship and familiarity. To be direct, the intentional community, both of the “inter and intra” house variety, has touched me for the better.  And while autumn and the service both have profound worth in themselves, the imperfect and always-in-development community life provides much of the scaffolding and the energy that creates a significant part of the world that I’m grateful to participate in.    

To state obvious facts, it is not seamless.  Rather, the unassuming events of everyday life such as coffee at night, grocery shopping on Mondays, and scrambling to do the weekly chores on a Sunday afternoon ground the friendships, the trust, and the conversations that further inspire my maturing relationship with the world.

And somewhere in the fabric of the budding friendships and conversations, there dwells a sense of a shared experience, of growing trust, of growing acceptance, and of a comfortable silliness that only makes sense because it is silliness amongst friends.  

So, that is what I am thankful for right now – novel service experiences, Chicago having distinct seasons, growing friendships, and being able to share subtle laughter that marks enjoyed presence of truly appreciated company.


Happy Holidays, and thanks for reading.  

No comments: