Monday, September 15, 2014

The Real World

The following is a reflection written by Therese Diola, one of this year's Little Village House Volunteers.

The “Real World”: “The true story of seven strangers, picked to live in a house, work together and have their lives taped, to find out what happens when people stop being polite… and start getting real.” This may as well be the intro for the start of my journey as an Amate House volunteer. Unlike the show, an additional detail must be added that us Amate House volunteers all share the same goal of putting love into action as we are provided with experiences of full time service to people in need, community living, and faith formation. Yet, similar to the popular MTV show, I am positive we will all end the year with lifelong friends, stories of adventure and undeniable self-growth.

After graduating from Michigan State University this May, I was a bit nervous at the idea of trading my accustomed life as a college student for a new beginning in the unfamiliar city of Chicago. However, nearly a month and a half into the year, I now consider myself an expert “L” rider, a Chicago Cubs fan and I've learned to replace ketchup on my hot dogs with mustard, onions, pickles, relish, peppers and tomatoes. Most significantly, the 7 complete “strangers” I live with have now become my dear friends. From the short amount of time we've lived together, we have learned a startling amount about one another. From our numerous deep conversations and frequently playing “20 Questions” and “Would You Rather”, we've discovered how we operate, what our dreams are, what we believe in and which of us would rather have fingers as long as legs than legs as long as fingers. From our spontaneous rock out sessions, not so deep “girl talks” and spells of uncontrollable laughter we've come to love and embrace one another’s quirks, goofiness and weirdness - being a huge goofball this is good news for me! Because of my roommates and the other Amate House volunteers, Chicago has become my second home on the other side of the Lake.

This past week marked my 4th week of working as the program coordinator for Trinity Volunteer Corps. We are an organization based out of Old St. Patrick’s church in downtown Chicago and we seek to promote inclusion of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in their community by securing and developing meaningful volunteer opportunities. Volunteers are given the chance to express and cultivate their unique gifts by volunteering throughout the community. I have been granted the immense pleasure of working alongside Trinity Volunteers with one of a kind talents and personalities including: a studio room full of artists, a rock band, linguists, zoologists, avid gardeners, sports lovers, singers, actors, chefs, astrology experts, Disney villain enthusiasts and even a mayor! Though each volunteer differs, their welcoming smiles, eagerness to help and tremendous hearts are things they all share in common. 

Last Sunday I assisted with putting on a Special Friend’s mass at Old St. Pat’s, which was an incredible experience. Special Friend’s masses are celebrated with children and adults with special needs who serve as lectors, singers and hospitality ministers. Looking around the room during mass I was overwhelmed with the sense of community I felt as I witnessed individuals with and without disabilities working together.
In the society we live in, it is easy to grow comfortable in the niche of people that we find to be similar to ourselves and we unknowingly create categories and divisions for anything that differs from our “norm”. Nonetheless, with my recent exposures in Chicago, a city chock-full of culture, it has become more and more apparent that diversity in our society makes us rich, beautiful and valuable. 

Through Amate House, Trinity Volunteer Corps and Old St. Pat’s, I have been given incredibly enriching opportunities - the chance to help others cultivate their gifts, share their story and celebrate diversity, as well as the chance to add amazing experiences and wonderful friends to my own story. I am extremely #blessed.

1 comment:

Melissa C said...

"Real World" was our LV 11-12 house's theme for our video for winter retreat! So apt for Amate is right :)