Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Don't Worry, Be Happy

The following is a reflection written by Rachael Brugman, one of this year's Little Village House Volunteers.

I have always had trouble making decisions in my life. From deciding what to do on the weekends to what my future endeavors will be, I would always rather someone else make the decisions for me. Because of my indecisiveness, I would get anxious and worry about the various possibilities. If I decide option A, what would I miss out on from option B? Will this decision make me happy or cause me more stress in the future Am I following God's plan for me or am I headed in the complete opposite direction? I could never stop worrying about the future and what I was supposed to be doing next.

Making any kind of decisions in my life always came with stress and worry until I actively started putting my trust in God. During my last year of college, I was extremely overwhelmed and worried about what I was to do after graduation. Instead of constantly worrying about my future, I started praying for an answer. After learning about and applying for Amate House I kept thinking, "yes, this is exactly where I am supposed to go", a feeling that is very foreign to me. I had never felt so sure about my decision for my future. Accepting this call to Amate House has been one of the easiest and best decision I have ever made.

During my time with Amate I have learned to let go and take one day at a time. I have learned to trust that God will provide for me and show me where I am supposed to be. I have also learned to be open and accepting of whatever He gives me. Now, as our Amate year draws to a close, I feel myself once again worried about my future and where I should be. What if I choose the wrong path? Which is the right decision for me? As I've continued to pray and ask for God's help in my decisions I have realized there may be no "right" or "wrong" paths; just endless opportunities to learn and grow from. As I am deciding on what to do after my year of service, I continue to pray for God's direction and remind myself to remain open and willing to wherever I am called next.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
                               Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: