Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Stations of the Cross - Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus to Carry His Cross

During Holy Week this week, we will be featuring reflections by our South House Volunteers centered around the Stations of the Cross, which commemorates the Passion of Jesus.


Today, for Holy Wednesday, we share a reflection by Tori Dice on the Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus to Carry His Cross.


As you might already know this year I have been working at Girls in the Game. From the outside looking in, this non-profit provides sports, health, and leadership opportunities for girls all around Chicago. Personally, I oversee 6 afterschool programs for 3rd-5th graders and coach at four of them. While we do coach the girls on sports, health, and leadership, there is so much more to these programs than meets the eye. After almost 8 months of having an insider’s perspective, this position is not just teaching girls sports. It is developing relationships with them! The more time that passes, the more these girls open up to me and share their lives with me.

Having insight into the culture of adolescent girls has been rather entertaining. Hot Cheetos are the snack of choice. Math is hated among all but endurable thanks to stickers and colorful pens. They forget to bring their field trip forms to the coaches every time, but without fail can recite every word to every song of Mindless Behavior..and Princeton without a doubt is cutest band member.

If you appreciate an honest opinion and blunt statements, you should join me in a day of after school programming. Nine and ten-year old girls hold nothing back. I have been told that my hair looks better down, my teeth look yellow from coffee, and asked if I was married. I was told I sound like Miley Cyrus, advised to bring Hot Cheetos as a snack, and informed that I act like I ate a whole bowl of sugar before programming. While sometimes their comments can be inappropriate, I can’t help but laugh at their blunt statements and lack of filter. I appreciate this raw honesty that girls still possess at this age because it is this very quality that allows them to share with me difficult things in their life as well.


Madeline tells me about the bullying that she deals with everyday. Sania is still adjusting to her move from India last year and struggling to learn English. Alex expresses the neglect she experiences at home. Leylani’s racially mixed family is not accepted among her classmates. And Lily has a wonderful mother who is diagnosed with a terminal form of cancer. Each of these girls has their own cross to bare. Sometimes I feel helpless and overwhelmed by their problems. I wish I could do more for them. While I cannot make their problems go away I am learning that there are some things that I can do. I can provide support and an attentive ear to those who want to share their stories. I can provide a safe environment for them and a space to have fun. I can teach them topics to improve their physical, mental, and emotional health. And lastly, I can be a positive role model for them. In this way I can help each of these girls carry their cross.

This opportunity to be present in these girls’ lives has given me insight into Simon of Cyrene’s role in the 5th station of the cross. I am no longer a bystander watching another struggle through hardships while I live my comfortable life. I am now walking with others and helping them carry their cross. Small and insignificant as it may be, I am still having some impact on these girls, and able to help them through their struggles. Although I am aiding those who I serve in their lives, I have learned so much more from them than I feel like I can give. Working with adolescent girls has given me new insight and perspective. Everyday I am learning more about how to love and give myself to others. Helping these girls carry their cross has in turn helped me learn how to better carry my own.

No comments: