Wednesday, March 28, 2012

One Year After Amate

The following is a reflection written by Amate House Alum (2010-2011) Allison Schallock, who lived at South House and served at the Academy of St. Benedict the African.

At this time last year, I was finally feeling confident in my purpose at my work site and my role in a community of 11 South House volunteers. We were planning the Stations of the Cross, preparing for the annual Amate Magic fundraiser and attending community nights that focused on the transition out of Amate House. I was thrilled and couldn’t wait to take on what was next.

My work site during my time at Amate House was at the Academy of Saint Benedict the African. I co-taught second grade and third grade writing each afternoon. Although my Amate year was extremely challenging, the help and support of my co-workers, students and roommates provided me with the strength I needed to grow and progress in a variety of ways.

During the last four days of school last year, I was hired on as the fifth grade teacher at the Academy of Saint Benedict the African. Like any new teacher, I was overjoyed; I was going to do it all. I knew the school and I had worked with many of these students before; so naturally, this was going to be a breeze. I was going to move into an apartment with three girls from my volunteer year, which meant we could skip all of the orientation games and discussions about communal living because we had already done that. I would be able to relax each night because no longer would I have obligations to community dinners and prayer nights during the week.



Seven months later, I can say that this year has tested me in ways that I never imagined possible. By November, it was feeling like I had taken enormous leaps in the wrong direction. I was back at the beginning of my volunteer year and was struggling to find any sort of balance in my life. I felt overwhelmed and lost at work and my previous support network at home had all changed. Although I knew my roommates very well, the dynamics were very different. We now had to work to build our own, much smaller community. The areas of my life that I had finally found balance in had vanished. I no longer felt the peace and fullness that I had experienced during Amate House and I quickly became irritated at this absence in my life.

If there is one thing that Amate House taught me, it is to always reflect and make adjustments to better a situation; whether it is with my roommates, students, colleagues or even within myself. In this case, I was in desperate need for a change in myself. I began to reflect on my Amate House experience and dive into the aspects and practices of my year that truly helped me to find this professional, personal, social, and spiritual balance. As a result, I began to research young adult groups at local churches, plan meals, yoga and prayer nights with my roommates, discuss my stress level with my work supervisor and take personal time away from schoolwork to enjoy a good book. Since these changes in my lifestyle, I have felt rejuvenated, refreshed and closer to who I want to be.

As I transition into the next year of my life without Amate House, I am certain that I will confront this challenge to find balance once again. However what strengthens me most is my ability to reflect and make a change when things get difficult. Amate House has taught me endless lessons about the person I am and the person I am called to be. This transformation is something that will forever be a part of me no matter how difficult and overwhelming life becomes.

No comments: