Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Self-discovery Through the Enneagram

The following is a reflection written by Earl Carlos, one of this year's Little Village House Volunteers.

One of my reasons for joining Amate House is to find out a little more about who I am by immersing myself in the neighborhood I am living in, by getting to know the stories of my co-workers and clients and by being inspired by my vibrant and loving community. The more open we are to experience, to change and to life itself, the more we will slowly and gradually uncover life’s mysteries and beauty; an unsaid and unexplainable beauty that takes conscious effort and perseverance to unveil. Deciding to spend a year with Amate House is a part of my effort to uncover that, and finding out about our personalities is just another small part of that lifelong process.

Our In-Service Day this past week took us to meeting a lady who is very passionate about the Enneagram. The Enneagram is a tool used to recognize our hidden and not-so-hidden tendencies of our personalities. It classifies individuals under 9 different types, each type being highly significant and interconnected to the other types. Everyone was very excited and open to the experience and it was definitely interesting actively trying to ‘type’ ourselves under a certain personality. It is very important to remember, as emphasized by our speaker for the day that identifying and recognizing our type is not supposed to trap us or destine us to be that type for the rest of our lives. Identifying and coming to grips with our type is supposed to help us find ways to free ourselves from both our hidden and not-so-hidden “kinks and quirks.”

Originally, I found myself being identified as a type 5, which is called the “Sage” or the “Investigator”, a more quiet, perceptive and cerebral type. I do see why I was originally typed as a 5, but after further reading with the handouts and worksheets for that day, I began to question my original typing. After some discussion with each other at our tables and in our individual houses, I started seeing myself being typed as a 2, a 7, and even a 9, which my housemates agreed strongly that I was. At the end of the day, although somewhat reluctant to admit it to my house and to myself, I most definitely began to see myself being typed as more of a 4, out of all the different types. Individuals who type themselves as 4 can be nicknamed as the “Author” or the “Individualist.” I felt reluctant to admit that I was a 4, due to its attributes towards sensitivity and being very self-emotionally tuned, but this ‘reluctance’ is exactly why I am a 4. The type 4's can be critical about themselves, their lives and their personality. 4’s are said to be very artistic; on the surface, I may seem to lack artistic ability, but I feel my art is revealed through different mediums, such as through writing, music and singing. 4’s are critical about themselves and their past and can develop a habit of sulking about their past mistakes and regrets. Besides that, I found it interesting that 4’s aspire to find true, authentic and sincere relationships.

At the end of the day, I did find the Enneagram helpful. One of the greatest things about life is that we are supposed to be in search for different perspectives, different attitudes and mindsets. The Enneagram is one, of many ways we can find more about ourselves in light of our personality, tendencies and demeanor. It was able to give me a different perspective of my personality that is quite evident, yet not very easy to notice if I were not actively looking for it.

Amate House, thus far, has been very successful in allowing myself to open up to the different opportunities and experiences of living in the city, working and meeting outstanding individuals and getting to know inspiring, young individuals like myself. The journey towards life continues each and everyday; learning about the Enneagram is just another small step, out of a plethora of more steps, in this lifelong process.

No comments: