Thursday, September 09, 2010

An Easy Transition

The following is a reflection written by Matt Rauh, one of this year's North House Volunteers.

Moving through the transition of graduating from college, to a summer of ‘non-profit’ interning, to Amate orientation, to working in the quasi-real world, has been quite an experience, to say the least. Riding this roller-coaster of emotions, I’ve come to realize that I am in the best possible place to cope with what feels like leaving one world behind and moving into a new world. Maybe it would be better to say finishing one chapter and starting another; the quasi-real world chapter, my Amate chapter.

So far, I have had nothing but the best experience with Amate. The people I live with are amazing. Living in an intentional community has fostered quick, strong relationships that provide incredible support and honesty, and in this transitional period those relationships are vital to maintaining a positive attitude. I have been so happy to be able to lean on my house mates and to provide support for them in return, and I can already tell the relationships within the house will only improve with time. And it doesn’t hurt that everyone I work with at the school next to our house absolutely adores the Amate volunteers. Going to work in such a positive environment really helps buoy my attitude when I come home to my roommates, which only further improves my overall quality of life.

I never would have guessed before coming here, but Amate House and the people and experiences that come with it have been just what I needed during this time in my life. Whether it’s relationship woes, concerns for the future, or simply a hard or draining day at work, I always have my incredible friends to come home to, and for that I am incredibly grateful. I cannot think of a better transitional phase, and am very excited for the rest of my Amate chapter!

No comments: